TOWN BUILD hosted a participatory planning process to engage about 150 local households in developing plans for their neighbourhood.
- Low income households of Nabweru Nansana
- Nansana Town Council
- City Building Professionals – Architects, Engineers, Planners
- 4th Year students of Architecture, Makerere University
- Residents of Nabweru-North, Nansana Town
- Buganda Land Board representatives,
- Material suppliers experimenting with new & appropriate technologies
- NGOs serving the housing and urban development sector.
- Ministry of Housing & Urban Planning
SUPPORT & PARTNERSHIPS
- United States African Development Foundation,
- Microsoft 4 Afrika
- Technology 4 Tomorrow
Towns and cities in Sub-Sahara Africa are seeing an influx and growth of informal housing and squatter settlements. As population grows, pressure increases on land, housing and associated services such as water, drainage and energy. In the city-slums, low-income households end up settling in valleys and swamps, building rudimental ‘shacks’ and living in dire conditions. In Uganda, the urban housing challenge is complex… Local Planning authorities hardly cater to low-income families, while other bodies may resort to evictions of unplanned settlements, which disrupt the fragile socio-economic ecosystems and livelihoods. Architects, Engineers and planners on the other hand do not usually serve this group because many low-income households simply cannot afford the service of the architect.
There is an urgent need to holistically develope appropriate shelter solutions for the informal settlements and low-income households that are rapidly taking root in urban centers …
The planning and engagement is a process that:
- Transfers skills to the local labor-force (thus indirectly making some individuals better candidates for employment or entrepreneurship).
- Introduces new technologies and re-interpret materials in forms that aid sustainability and affordability.
- Encourages materials-suppliers and developers to innovatively address the low-income-household market sector.
- Spurs further university research into solutions for informal settlements and slums.
In 2016, we intend to bring to the market low-cost houses in our next Project in Namugoongo, Kira, a residential suburb on the outskirts of Kampala.